A 48 year-old male patient with complaint of an abdominal pain and a palpable abdominal mass came to our general surgery outpatient clinic. The computed tomography revealed a well-circumscribed solid mass, approximately 12 cm in diameter, which is thought to be a gastrointestinal stromal tumor originating from the cecum. The colonoscopy detected an external pressure on the cecum. No remarkable feature was noted in the patient’s history. Right hemicolectomy was performed. Pathological examination revealed a collagen-rich hypocellular mesenchymal tumor originating from the appendiceal wall, which was negatively stained with CD117 immunohistochemical antibodies. The histopathological diagnosis revealed a desmoid tumor(fibromatous lesions). The patient was discharged on postoperative day 6 and was transferred to the oncology department
2. Napolitano A, Mazzocca A, Spalato Ceruso M, Minelli A, Baldo F, Badalamenti G, Silletta M, Santini D, Tonini G, Incorvaia L, Vincenzi B. Recent advances in desmoid tumor therapy. Cancers (Basel) 2020;12:2135.
3. Wong SL. Diagnosis and management of desmoid tumors and fibrosarcoma. J Surg Oncol 2008;97:554-558.
4. Kim JH, Ryu MH, Park YS, Kim HJ, Park H, Kang YK. Intra-abdominal desmoid tumors mimicking gastrointestinal stromal tumors – 8 cases: a case report. World J Gastroenterol 2019;25:2010-2018.
5. Bertagnolli MM, Morgan JA, Fletcher CD, Raut CP, Dileo P, Gill RR, Demetri GD, George S. Multimodality treatment of mesenteric desmoid tumours. Eur J Cancer 2008;44:2404-2410.
6. Desmoid Tumor Working Group. The management of desmoid tumours: a joint global consensus-based guideline approach for adult and paediatric patients. Eur J Cancer 2020;127:96-107.
7. Zreik RT, Fritchie KJ. Morphologic Spectrum of Desmoid-Type Fibromatosis. Am J Clin Pathol 2016;145:332-340.
8. Keskin M, Üçüncü MZ, Memişoğlu E, Bayraktar A, Balık E, Bulut MT. Our experience with desmoid tumors. Turk J Colorectal Dis 2016;26:90-97.
9. Chu Y, Guo Q, Wu D. Mesenteric fibromatosis after resection for gastrointestinal stromal tumor of stomach: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore) 2017;96:e8792.
10. Asenov Y, Genadiev S, Timev A, Panaiotova J, Hadjiiska V, Veselin T, Sedloev T. Ruptured desmoid tumor imitating acute appendicitis – a rare reason for an emergency surgery. BMC Surg 2019;19:194.
11. Bravo-Taxa M, Vásquez-Vásquez CL, López-Blanco A, Taxa-Rojas L. Fibromatosis tipo desmoide de apéndice cecal: reporte de caso inusual y revisión de la literatura [Appendicular desmoid tumor: unusual case and review of the literature]. Rev Gastroenterol Peru 2020;40:193-197. (Spanish)
12. Peled Z, Linder R, Gilshtein H, Kakiashvili E, Kluger Y. Cecal fibromatosis (desmoid tumor) mimicking periappendicular abscess: a case report. Case Rep Oncol 2012;5:511-514